Sunday, September 1, 2019

Blog Entry 1

The reason I chose ‘From Grimm to Disney’ as my FYS was because my childhood was greatly influenced by Disney movies. I had every single movie made by Disney on VHS and DVD and we kept the collection in its own room within our basement. Almost every Halloween I would dress up as my current favorite Disney character and have the decorations in my room change to accommodate for the rotation of characters as well. Trips to Disney World were always my favorite family vacations even if it was the same scenery and rides every time.
Growing up, my favorite Disney movie was Beauty and the Beast. It still is my favorite fairy tale. However, since this class revolves around German literature and not French, my favorite German fairy tale is most likely Rapunzel. I find it obscure that the Brothers Grimm chose to make her hair the feature that she would be known for and I am excited to learn about the origin behind that fairy tale. 
Within this class, I am hoping to expand my knowledge on how the Brothers Grimm intended for their tales to be delivered versus how child-friendly Disney interpreted them and made them all have a happy ending. I already know that the original tellings of these fairy tales have dark and twisted plots, but I didn’t know about the original plotlines until I entered high school. I always thought that Disney created these storylines on their own. By the end of this seminar, I am hoping to expand my knowledge on German culture, learn about the Grimm brothers and the deep meanings behind their work, and improve my writing and oral presentation skills. 

No comments:

Post a Comment